Thursday 29 November 2012

50 Shades?

I've ticked off 4 stories for the new boss and I'm currently writing a script for a Dominatrix, which has proved interesting and got me thinking...

As a reader I love BDSM themed erotica and have done for a few years.  So when  50 shades was released and suddenly all my straight laced, vanilla friends were loving it, I thought 'wow, this has got to be a good thing right?'  I don't know about anyone else, but I was bitterly disappointed. 

I know, that's like the equivalent of saying I don't find Edward or Jacob fit to a Twihard for all you 50 Shades fans, but I can't help feeling bemused by the phenomenon it's become. 

I haven't even completed my first novel yet, so I wouldn't even attempt to pick at the authors story telling ability.  For me it was the BDSM aspect that just felt all wrong.  Submission is a personal thing and everyone's interpretation of BDSM is different.  It was never going to please everyone.  I don't know about anyone else, but I was particularly uncomfortable with the constant implication that Grey was a Dominant due to abuse as a child.

My excitement at having the world of BDSM brought to the masses was overshadowed by the frustration of it being misconceived, yet again.

Rant over! Back to my 'sniveling worms'........







No comments:

Post a Comment